04/12/1942 - 04/13/2013
Leave It To Beaver ... Some of the actors and actresses ... Pictures ... Beaver Cleaver - Jerry Mathers ... Wally Cleaver - Tony Dow ... Ward Cleaver - Hugh Beaumont ... Robert "Rusty" Stevens as Larry Mondello ... Metzger's Field ... Ward Cleaver's question? ... Where the Cleavers lived ... Stanley Fafara "Whitey Whitney" ... Where is Mayfield?
Leave It To Beaver Timeline
- 04/23/1957. The pilot, It's a Small World, airs.
- 1957 - 1959. Filmed at Republic Studio.
- 10/04/1957 - 07/16/1958. Season 1, CBS.
- 09/17/1958. Leave It To Beaver's run on CBS ends.
- 10/02/1958 - 06/25/1959. Season 2, ABC.
06/25/1959. The Cleavers sold their house, so this was the last episode, Most Interesting Character, where they lived at 485 Maple (above).
10/03/1959. The Cleavers are in a different house, 211 Pine (above), at the start of season 3 with the episode, Blind Date Committee. Leave It To Beaver changed houses when the show changed studios, from Republic to Universal. The Leave It To Beaver house is on Colonial Street, on the upper lot at Universal City.
- 1959 - 1963. Leave It To Beaver was filmed at Universal Studios' Stage 17. Revue was Universal's television production company.
- 10/03/1959 - 06/25/1960. Season 3, ABC.
- 10/01/1960 - 06/24/1961. Season 4, ABC.
- 09/30/1961 - 06/30/1962. Season 5, ABC.
- 09/27/1962 - 06/20/1963. Season 6, ABC.
- 09/12/1963. Leave It To Beaver ends the original run of episodes on ABC.
- 1981. Ken Osmond interview.
- 1983. Leave It To Beaver cast play on the game show Family Feud.
- 10/19/1983. Wally and the Beav return in the TV movie Still The Beaver.
- 1984. Jerry Mathers and Tony Dow appear in a Kellogg's Corn Flakes commercial.
- 01/01/1984. The World According to Beaver: The Official Leave it to Beaver Book
- 1985 - 1986. Beaver returns to series TV in Still the Beaver that airs on the Disney channel.
- 1986 - 1989. Beaver moves to WTBS in The New Leave It To Beaver.
01/26/1987. Tony Dow, Jerry Mathers, Ken Osmond and Frank Bank at Super Bowl XXI in Pasadena.
- 02/27/1987. Some of the Leave It To Beaver cast appear on the Who Killed Maxwell Thorn? episode of The Love Boat.
- 10/04/1987. It's A Small World, the pilot for Leave It To Beaver, airs on WTBS. This was the 30th anniversary of the show.
- 1997. The book Call Me Lumpy by Frank Bank
08/22/1997. The movie Leave It To Beaver. Where is Mayfield? When the 1997 movie Leave It To Beaver aired on the Disney Channel 09/08/2003, the on screen DIRECTV description of the movie was as follows: Leave It To Beaver, PG, comedy. Christopher McDonald, Janine Turner, Cameron Finley. (1997). An all-American boy grows in suburban OHIO under the tutelage of loving parents and an older brother. Cameos by Barbara Billingsley, Ken Osmond. In the production notes section on the DVD for the 1997 movie "Leave It To Beaver", the town is identified as Mayfield, Ohio.
1998. The incredible cast of the legendary show. (1998 photo)
- 07/01/1998. The book And Jerry Mathers as the Beaver by Jerry Mathers
- 1998 ?. Jerry Mathers appeared on the The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder on CBS promoting his book And Jerry Mathers as the Beaver. I'm guessing this was in 1998 because that's when his book came out.
- 11/22/2005. Leave It To Beaver season 1 DVD
- 11/22/2005. Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season Limited Edition Gift Set DVD
- 03/22/2006. Jerry Mathers received some interesting advances from Charo in Desperate Classic Housewives on the 2006 TV Land Awards (aired 3/22/06, 9pm ET/PT).
- 05/02/2006. Leave It To Beaver season 2 DVD
- 10/01/2006. Tony Dow interview from Just My Show
- 11/30/2006. The book The Leave It to Beaver Guide to Life: Wholesome Wisdom from the Cleavers by Jennifer Colella
12/ 22/2006. Jerry Mathers appeared on the NBC game show Identity with Penn Jillette. The contestant did not identify Jerry as the child star.
- 2007. Jerry Mathers at the 2007 TV Land Awards
- 2007. Jerry Mathers performs a song from the hit Broadway Musical Hairspray on Regis and Kelly
- 09/20/2007. Close-ups by Eddie Lucas is released. Interviews with Barbara Billingsley and Tony Dow are in this book.
- 10/03/2007. Jerry Mathers says "When you denigrate (Beaver) in any way, it's not worth it."
- 10/04/2007. Leave it to Beaver 50th Anniversary on Good Morning America
- 03/05/2008. Ken Osmond and Frank Bank were on Stu's Show from Shokus Internet Radio. This program 64 is available for download on www.stusshow.com/2008.html.
- 05/28/2008. Ken Osmond, Frank Bank and Eric Osmond were on Stu's Show from Shokus Internet Radio. This program 76 is available for download on www.stusshow.com/2008.html.
- 06/03/2009. Exclusive interview with Jerry Mathers .
- 11/05/2008. Jerry Mathers and Frank Bank were on Stu's Show from Shokus Internet Radio. This program 99 is available for download on www.stusshow.com/2008.html.
- 12/03/2008. Tony Dow and his wife Lauren Dow were on Stu's Show from Shokus Internet Radio. This program 103 is available for download on www.stusshow.com/2008.html.
- 03/04/2009. Tony Dow, Ken Osmond, Frank Bank and Writer/Producer/Director Brian Levant were on Stu's Show from Shokus Internet Radio. This program 114 is available for download on www.stusshow.com/2009.html.
- 12/30/2009. Game Show Congress VII Highlights, originally broadcast live in
11/2009, the program features
interviews with Burton Richardson, Geoff Edwards, Betty White, Johnny Gilbert, Randy West, Frank Bank, Ronnie Greenberg, Marx Maxwell-Smith and Tom Kennedy. Co-hosted by Stu Shostak and Wesley Hyatt. This program 157 is available for download on www.stusshow.com/2009.html.
- 12/31/2009. Frank Bank is on the New Year's Eve show from Shokus Internet Radio.
- 01/13/2010. Tony Dow was on Stu's Show from Shokus Internet Radio. This program 159 is available for download on www.stusshow.com/2010.html.
- 06/15/2010. Leave It To Beaver season 3 DVD
- 06/21/2010. Panel Event - Leave It to Beaver: TV's Favorite Family - 7:00 pm PT - Los Angeles - In Person - Jerry Mathers (Theodore Beaver Cleaver) - Tony Dow (Wally Cleaver) - Additional panelists to be announced
- 06/23/2010. Stu's Show. Live, 4:00 p.m. PT/7:00 p.m. ET, with rebroadcasts daily at the same time on Skokus Internet Radio. Celebration of the release of "Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series", a 37-disc DVD box set coming out on 06/ 29, 2010. In person, Tony Dow, Ken Osmond, Frank Bank and from Shout! Factory, project producer Brian Ward.
- 06/29/2010. Leave It To Beaver: The Complete Series on DVD. I'm really glad this has been finally been released. The wait was long enough. I have not seen the whole thing. It looks good from what I have seen. On the downside, the sound quality on the Brian Levant interview is poor. It sounds like whatever microphone was picking up his voice was too far away from him. I wish they would have returned to the Cleaver house that was used from 1959-1963 after the show was moved to Universal Studios. They could have had the cast walk around the house and talk about their memories of the show.
- 06/29/2010. Tom Shales from The Washington Post revisits 'Leave It to Beaver' (1957-1963) on box set
- 07/2010 - 08/2010. The short article in this issue of AARP magazine talks about the release of the Leave It To Beaver complete series DVD and what was done if any line got too much of a laugh.
- 10/25/2010. Frank Bank is interviewed on TV Confidential show number 62 hour 1.
- 04/28/2011 - 05/01/2011. TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood. Jerry Mathers will introduce the film, The Trouble with Harry.
- 05/02/2011. Jerry Mathers TCM interview
- 05/03/2011. Actor Jerry Mathers is the host of the American Academy of Neurology Foundation's latest patient education video and guidebook, Diabetic Nerve Pain: A Guide for Patients and Families.
- 07/03/2011. Jerry Mathers is on Huckabee on Fox News Channel. A tribute to Barbara Billingsley.
- 06/2011 - 07/2011. Neurology Now magazine, the issue with this date, has an article, American Icon: Leave It to Beaver star Jerry Mathers reveals how he overcame neuropathy, a painful neurologic condition that affects millions of Americans.
- 12/12/2011. Globe has an article, How The Beaver Beat Nerve Disease Agony, in the issue with this date.
- 12/2011. Jerry Mathers is honored with a Lifetime Achievement award at the 75th annual Golden Halo Awards luncheon.
- 03/24/2012. Jerry Mathers radio interview about diabetes and neuropathy with Dr. Paul Christo on his show, "Aches and Gains" on WBAL in Baltimore. You can access the podcast by going to: www.paulchristomd.com. When I checked, the show with Jerry Mathers was on this page.
"...and Jerry Mathers as the Beaver." Leave It To Beaver's hometown was Mayfield, U.S.A. Wally and Beaver attended Grant Ave. Grammar School through 8th grade. Wally attended Mayfield High School. The original run of Leave It To Beaver had 234 half hour episodes that aired over 6 seasons, 1957-1963.
According to Entertainment Weekly magazine The 100 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Collector's Edition, Leave It To Beaver never entered the top 35 rated shows during the original run.
Leave It To Beaver was listed in Entertainment Weekly magazine, The 100 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time, Collector's Edition which was published by Entertainment Weekly Books, a division of Time Inc. Home Entertainment.
George Gobel (The George Gobel Show, Hollywood Squares) was the original owner of Leave It To Beaver. Gomalco Productions that did Leave It To Beaver, was named after George Gobel and David P. O'Malley.
Bob LeMond was the announcer on some of the Leave It To Beaver episodes.
Leave It To Beaver was created and produced by Joe Connelly & Bob Mosher
According to the book, ...And Jerry Mathers as "The Beaver", there are 27 Mayfields. The true location is a mystery.
Leave It To Beaver was THE situation comedy when I grew up. The great series showed a child's eye view of the world. Ward and 06/ Cleaver lived in Mayfield, a kind of euphoric Anywhere, U.S.A. type of place. It was never revealed what state this town was in. There was so much speculation, but Ohio was the best guess. Much of Leave It To Beaver centered around the life of the young Cleaver kids,"Beaver" (Theodore) and his older brother Wally, and their observations and reactions to the everyday problems they encountered. The most colorful other regular characters were Eddie Haskell (a real joker and Wally's best friend) and Clarence "Lumpy" Rutherford.
The Leave It To Beaver original pilot from 1957 came to light in 1987, with some different actors in some of the roles. The pilot was feared to be lost, but was found in an Illinois film vault.
The pilot was initially called Wally and Beaver, then It's A Small World before the final title was selected.
Joe Connelly, one of the producers, had always wanted to be a writer, and had kept a journal. When he was in World War II, and was on a destroyer in the Pacific, one of his shipmates was named the Beaver. When he came to do Leave it to Beaver and was searching for a name, he went through his list of names that he had kept. The names under the A's were searched and were passed on. The B's were read and when he came across the name of "Beaver", he made the decision to select that name for the title character. The reason was made on the show that Wally couldn't pronounce Theodore and somehow ended up with Beaver. But the real reason he was called Beaver was the name came from Joe's shipmate.
Norman Tokar, who directed most of the Leave It To Beaver episodes for the first 3 years, was a child actor who played Henry Aldrich on the radio. He also wrote many of the Leave It To Beaver shows.
Hugh Beaumont died of a heart attack in 1982 while visiting his son in Munich.
Leave it to Beaver is the 2nd longest running TV show in history.
Miss Landers first name was Alice.
Jerry Mathers was told to lose weight or he might not be around in 3-5 years. He had diabetes and high blood pressure. He went to Jenny Craig to lose the weight and did it with portion control.
For all of elementary school, Jerry had never really been to school. He had a private tutor.
When Leave it to Beaver was being filmed, they had 180 people on the set.
Leave It To Beaver plays in 180 countries and is spoken in 140 languages.
Jerry's younger brother, Jimmy Mathers, was in his own show, called Ichabod and Me, that was done by Connally and Mosher. He was also in Bewitched, playing a sickly little boy that needed help from a witch.
Jerry Mathers, Tony Dow and Ken Osmond are going to put on a new show similar to Leave it to Beaver, that the whole family can watch.
Other Leave It To Beaver Sites
Tim's TV Showcase
The Museum of Broadcast Communications
Leave It To Beaver Dog Food Commercial
Interview on CBS with Barbara Billingsley, Jerry Mathers and Tony Dow
Jerry Mathers and Tony Dow interviewed near Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
Tony Dow says Leave It To Beaver is the only scripted show to be on the air continuously for 50 years
Leave It To Beaver cast
Jerry Mathers Leaves it to Weight Loss to Control His Diabetes
Stamps A Possibility?
Leave It to Beaver deserves spot in U.S. Postal Service's stamp series honoring early TV
The SAG Deal
Frank Bank and Ken Osmond talk about why the SAG deal was bad for pre-1974 actors. What did happen? The SAG contract was passed, so there will be no residuals for any of the actors in TV shows prior to 1974.
Jerry Mathers' Webpages
The Official Website
Leave It To Beaver on Universal City's Colonial Street and beyond
"Leave it to Beaver" on the Universal and Republic backlots
In Memory Of
The Cast Of Leave It To Beaver
Leave It To Beaver last updated 04/28/2014